Moved and lights off

  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /hermes/walnaweb12a/b57/moo.greydragoncom/nodsw/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 906.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::init() should be compatible with views_handler::init(&$view, $options) in /hermes/walnaweb12a/b57/moo.greydragoncom/nodsw/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 744.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /hermes/walnaweb12a/b57/moo.greydragoncom/nodsw/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 607.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /hermes/walnaweb12a/b57/moo.greydragoncom/nodsw/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 607.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_boolean_operator::value_validate() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::value_validate($form, &$form_state) in /hermes/walnaweb12a/b57/moo.greydragoncom/nodsw/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 159.
Leeland's picture

It took a week of effort, but I am pleased with the results. I am running the site almost as I would like. There are a few deficiencies but they are either "nice to haves" or easily "will be fun to correct" items.

At this point all the content from the old Django based site hosted at has been moved to the new Drupal based system hosted at FatCow. To be honest this was a lot of database playing around. I tried a number of things that got me 80% of the way but left a lot to be desired. The closest item was when I gave up on Drupal and tried to get Django running. However, I had let my site sit for over a year while I worked on finishing a MIS degree. Which meant that the up to date Django set up on FatCow just wasn't all that pleased with my importing a ton of data from a Postgres database into its MySQL setup.

So I did it via brute force. Ah, good old brute force. After 6000 years of recorded history brute force is still a viable method to getting stuff done.

I exported the logs and records for all the posts. I then wrote some cheesy little SED commands to parse the data into full blown HTML and to correct the date entries. I then used the patented "Trial and Error" (tm) method of import, crash, rollback, correct SQL, try again, rinse and repeat till clean. Days of this effort resulted in a reasonable set of inputs and a ton of SQL errors. So, what didn't import via automation I just copied and pasted in by hand.

I bet there is a whole research project right here: create a plugable module based framework to export forum data from a database and into a neutral meta-language representation that can then be imported into another forum system. Hell after 4 days of trying to do this I was tired enough to whip out my shiny credit card and pay up to $75 to just make it happen once.

Praying I don't have to do this again, (but knowing full well it will likely come around again).

Thread Slivers eBook at Amazon